External Wall Application-Commercial Insulation
Commercial exterior wall spray foam application
There are a number of ways in which spray foam insulation can be applied in commercial exterior walls to achieve energy efficiency. Spray foam insulation can applied within cavities in commercial exterior walls or as part of a continuous insulation wall system. In seven of the eight climate zones within the continental United States, ASHRAE 90.1 now requires continuous insulation wall systems.
Continuous Insulation Wall Systems
Medium-density spray foam insulation applied in a continuous insulation wall system provides a high-performance all-in-one insulation and air barrier solution. When compared to tradition rigid foam board, spray foam insulation in continuous insulation applications:
- Provides a tight seal over minimal required wall penetrations (brick ties)
- Has a lower installed cost for a superior air barrier assembly
- Has less labor and less construction material waste
- Is easily applied to curved surfaces
- Completely covers areas that could otherwise provide energy draining thermal bridges
The end result of spray foam insulation in continuous insulation applications is a total high performance wall assembly solution that can enhance and work with virtually any architectural design approach.
With hundreds of NFPA285 compliant wall assemblies available, Icynene`s Engineering and Building Science teams can work with your firm to develop a wall assembly suited for your design.
External Wall Insulation – Cavity
External wall cavities and panelized systems are typically insulated with traditional rigid foam board or fibrous insulation types. In addition to issues of air loss and moisture management, traditional insulation used in external wall cavities restricts the intended flexibility and creativity in your design. Typically, joints and penetrations are difficult and time-consuming to insulate, and subject to quality issues while there is difficulty in insulating unusual shapes.
The advantages of spray foam insulation in external wall cavities over traditional insulation types:
- Increased energy efficiency and improved indoor air quality
- Easily insulates edges and penetrations
- Can be applied to most types of substrates
- Maintains performance qualities over the long-term
- Can reject bulk water ingress
- Minimizes moisture penetration